Pho Que or Faux Que (or brisket cooked for 3 days and medium rare)

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I've been on a serious pho bender lately and was joking around with my wife that I'm going to start a food truck and call it "pho que" with a simple concept of barbecue served on top of pho.

I had never made pho before and the wheels in my head started turning. Combined with a 1/2 wagyu brisket flat in my freezer, really got them turning. Now, I've only cooked brisket sous vide once, during a 48 hr/135* short rib cook, and it came out terrible, like bad post roast. It really got me head scratching, how could short ribs can come out meltingly tender but not brisket. I consulted Kevin K and he had some ideas but I put the idea of sv brisket to rest. That is until I saw Douglas Baldwin's suggestion to try 135* for 48-72 hours, and that's what I did. I ran some short ribs for 48 and let the brisket go for another 24.

Prior to cooking, to give the beef a pho flavor, it was rubbed with a mix of star anise, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, coriander and fennel. I vac sealed it, ran it through the long cook, and iced it until I was ready to grill to complete the faux que effect.

The iced brisket hung out in the fridge for a few days while I assemble the broth from some beef ribs, ox tails and shank steaks. Like I mentioned, making pho was new to me and I learned some cool tricks like focusing on marrow bones, and charring the ginger and onion.

you can read more here:
www.lovingpho.com

wagyu brisket on the grill
IMG_7491.JPG

IMG_7492.JPG

IMG_7495.JPG

I'll bet you never thought you'd ever see medium rare brisket that you could cut with a spoon
IMG_7501.JPG

and served on top of the pho
IMG_7513.JPG

Would your logo incorporate a middle finger?

I googled "pho que" and found that it's been used...but maybe not with your idea.

jz

Last edited:
That food truck would certainly get noticed. Maybe just making Pho Que a menu item would be more subtle.

I was really hoping you'd post this after seeing you we're cooking stock all night. Brisket and pho are two of my favorites, and this must be so much better than the mysteriously tough yet paper-thin meats that are normally served to me. Most excellent cook!

That food truck would certainly get noticed. Maybe just making Pho Que a menu item would be more subtle.

I was really hoping you'd post this after seeing you we're cooking stock all night. Brisket and pho are two of my favorites, and this must be so much better than the mysteriously tough yet paper-thin meats that are normally served to me. Most excellent cook!

I'm not a big fan of the quick cooked, thin meats. The place I like serves a mixed pho with quick cooked beef, slow cooked beef, tendon, tripe, and meatballs. The slow cooked is much better than the quick cooked, and might be very tender flank. It had similar shape and grain structure to brisket, which led me here.

I'm not a big fan of the quick cooked, thin meats. The place I like serves a mixed pho with quick cooked beef, slow cooked beef, tendon, tripe, and meatballs. The slow cooked is much better than the quick cooked, and might be very tender flank. It had similar shape and grain structure to brisket, which led me here.

As far as I know, the quick cooked is cooked by the hot broth. It never seems to have flavor and the texture is hit or miss. I had meatball for the first time the weekend before last (due to communication difficulties with the waitress) and was pleasantly surprised. No idea what the ingredients are, but they were very good. Like bahn mi, I suppose.

How did you do your noodles? Steeped in hot water, shocked, then in the bowl before the broth?

That's it. Snow be damned, I'm moving to Buffalo! Killer cook & thanks for the link on Pho.

How did you do your noodles? Steeped in hot water, shocked, then in the bowl before the broth?

uh, my wife ran the noodles while I grilled. I think she just boiled them as per the package directions. I barely had time to figure out how to make the stock and hadn't spent any time looking into the finer details

That's it. Snow be damned, I'm moving to Buffalo! Killer cook & thanks for the link on Pho.

snow? that's what we tell people to keep them away from our fair city and fine food. We might get snow now and then, but in light of recent disasters, I'll take some snow any day

You'd make a mint...
Excellent cooking, J!

Don! nice to see you're at least lurking around ;)

looked like corned beeef. but I know it wasn't

the rosy color was due to the fact that it never went past medium rare during the 3 days. I did salt it well prior to cooking so it had a bit of a brined taste, and was faintly like a corned beef roast. It got me thinking and I'm totally doing my St Pattie's day roast this way.

Back